Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Old Things Made New

Remember this little find I wrote about last week?
Click HERE to read about it.

I picked up a lovely piece of 6mm glass today to go on top

I picked one of my cross-stitches that I've done over the years to go under the glass

Cross stitch was a hobby I started when I was just 10 years old

...and have enjoyed it ever since. Although in the last 10 years haven't had as much time to do it. Wonder why that is? Maybe the joys of motherhood. This piece has the lovely words
"Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow, Live Today"
stitched into it.

It was one of my more difficult pieces because it incorporated Hardanger as well as cross-stitch in the design. It was my first attempt at Hardanger. I'd love to try another one. It involves stitching and then cutting between the stitches.

One wrong cut and it's all over as I once found out when I tried an even more difficult piece than this. After spending countless hours on a lovely coffee table centrepiece I accidently cut the wrong stitch and created a big messy hole in it. Sadly I couldn't repair the damage and it still sits in my cross-stitch box.

..and here it is laid under the glass. The evening light doesn't really do it justice. I'll have to take another shot tomorrow in daylight.

Also, I'm still not sure whether I should paint the legs or leave them like this.
What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Your work is so beautiful! I have always admired cross stitch work but never got around to trying. Your designs look very detailed - love them.

    ReplyDelete