Friday, May 18, 2012

Swap Cards in the 1970s

Back in the 1970s when I was a little girl just starting school collecting swap cards was "the craze" in Melbourne where I grew up. It was one among other crazes like playing jacks or jumping elastics for girls or playing marbles or Matchbox cars for boys.

 
Once a week my sister and I would get 20cents to go down to the local Newsagents where we could buy 5 swap cards for our 20c.

Collecting sets or pairs was the aim.

Most of the Swap Cards were blank backs, but some were actually proper playing cards.

Being the collecting little hoarder I was growing up I very neatly kept all my swap cards in 3 card boxes.
...and after 40 years later they are still like brand new

I recently found a swap card album on Ebay and transferred all my swap cards into it so that my daughter can now enjoy them the way I did.

Whilst looking for the album I discovered that swap cards are still out there. Not so much a childrens hobby anymore but being collected by others like myself who have hung on to them over the years.

I was also surprised to discover that some of these 5 for 20c cards are now worth $7 - $10 each. Though I don't know who would pay that much for them I was still pleasantly surprised to think that my childhood collection has grown in value.
Collecting dogs, especially puppies was my main passion and these are just a few of the different ones I still have.
When I was five we had a Border Collie just like the black and white one above. His name was Troy. So this card was one of my very very favourites.

These little kitten one were the very first cards I got when I was just 5 years old.
As well as dogs and cats and other animals (I have a substantial horse range too, too many to show on here) I also loved collecting the little girl range.

Don't you just love the girl in the pink dress on the swing. I used to imagine that was me in that lovely flowing skirt and the big hat.

This was another very popular range. I remember some of the girls at school having so many of these but I only got these five.

The Japanese Manga girls. Loved their sparkly eyes.

Cute little Teddy Bears

...and I still just ADORE these two little elephants

Pandas

...and ofcourse what would the 70s have been without the Holly Hobby range.





Well! We think Marley and Jasper would make a cute Swap Card for the 2000s.
What do you think?

Did you collect anything when you were a child? I'd love to know.

2 comments:

  1. What a great collection of cards!
    I didn't collect anything when I was little. Great to think they are worth more now.

    I know you asked about the charts of the wee pup I'm stitching. I will look out the details and try and include a link on my blog to the website. I've almost finished him so i will include it when I post the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did collect only memories!! :(

    We (my twin and I) were both very naughty, both of us didn't like girlish stuff, interested in outdoor activities(played football etc.), and as a result nothing remained stable from our childhood.

    Therefore I am collecting dolls in order to fill empty space which had to be filled in childhood.

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete